An attorney is in a unique position to advise you on your options and help you explore the best course of action. However, not all attorneys are suited for each criminal case and it can be helpful to ask questions before hiring one. Let’s have a look at these 9 questions.
The 9 questions to ask attorneys in criminal offence cases
The following questions are not all compulsory and might not always be relevant. Also, they are in no order. Just add them naturally in the course of your discussion for the most honest responses.
1. Why did you get into criminal law?
This is more of a feeler question. Knowing a lawyer’s motivations and struggles can lend you insight into how they approach their work.
2. What are your qualifications to handle a criminal case?
This is critical and can always be asked directly. Relevant experience is single-handedly the most important factor that will determine your success in court.
3. Are you willing to take what might be a complicated case?
Every case is complex in some way. If you feel the same way, ask them what their thoughts are. No lawyer will say no, but this question opens you up for follow-up questions for their other cases which they might refer to when giving examples of previous complex cases.
4. Do you have any experience handling cases, such as armed robbery, drug charges, and property crime?
Change the main topic as per your case. Always add 1-2 similar subjects. Also, look at what the case is from your opposition’s point of view and ask the lawyer what experience they have in that subject. You also need to ask them what the opposition’s lawyer can and cannot do.
5. Do I have any recourse after I hire you if your services are poor?
You might shy away from asking this, but it’s important to clarify right off the bat if you wish to avoid disappointment later.
6. How fast do you work — how long will it take from start to finish?
We are not really looking at an actual turnaround time. Coursework can take unexpected turns unless it’s a super simple case. We just want to know how confident they are about your case.
7. What do I need to know about my rights under the law if I go ahead with this case?
Most likely the need for this question will not arise if it’s a good lawyer. Good lawyers often give this information before you can ask for it.
8. How quickly can you return my calls – once or repeatedly?
We need to know this because communication is going to be vital.
9. Can you explain in layman’s terms what my case might involve?
Asking a lawyer to explain like you’re five always helps. This allows them to break the case down in more understandable terms. It also tells you how knowledgeable they are.
Before hiring an attorney, it is important to remember that there are 9 questions you should ask before entering a legal battle. These questions will help you determine whether your attorney is capable of helping you with your case.
Get a good criminal justice attorney Brampton who can answer all your questions efficiently.